Friday, April 13, 2012

Some History

A little history on our house:
In 1921 Hansell and Celia Watt purchased the property and started building the house.  Hansell designed and built it himself, paying for it as he went.  The house was completed in 1926, but soon after it was complete, Celia died and Hansell and their children moved back to their family home on Hansell Street.  
From 1952 to the early 2000's, the house was owned by the United Methodist Church and it housed the Bishop of the South Georgia Conference.  (From what I've heard!)
It was sold in 2004 and fully renovated to how it is today.
Then, VOILA, the Moodsters moved in!!!

We've registered it with Thomasville Landmarks with the mission of: 
"Preserving, Protecting, and Promoting the Architecture, History, and Heritage of Thomasville and the Thomas County Area."
Landmarks has done SO MUCH to preserve historic houses and buildings in the area.  As for me, I'm not sure why I have this affection for older houses. It must have started when I lived in the Duplex in college or when George, Mama and I would drive around on Sunday's looking at houses for sale.  Newer homes certainly have amazing storage and more functional bathrooms, but I'll take crystal knobs and squeaky floors over two sinks in the master bathroom any day!

1 comment: